– Hi everyone, welcome to the channel. We have a lot of guests here today, can you introduce yourselves? – Hi, I’m Elle Mills. – Canadian. What have we got, Jessie? – I’m Jessie Page and I’m American. – From New Jersey. Woo! I’m Evan, I’m from Jersey… and dodie! – I’m from London! – Kind of, she’s from England. So today we’re gonna be talking about- – I AM from London! – Essex isn’t really London. – I was born in London! – Sure. – Out of curiosity, Jessie, since you’re also from New Jersey, did you have the AR program? – Is it where you read these, little, little, books and then you get a grade level that is your…? – Yes, yes. You’re marked your grade level. – We did, we only had it up to third grade. – Oh, okay for me-
– It was a great time though, it was like some kids took it very seriously. It honestly created a bit of a hierarchy. *laughter* – Alright, we definitely had some sort of thing where if you read books in the summer holidays then you’d get little stickers and then you’d go up the map and there was some sort of like raffle to win. – What was the prize? – I don’t know, I think it was a holiday to Butlins or something. – Ha Butt-lins
It’s like a theme park I think – You don’t know what Butlins is? – It’s a theme park. – I never went to Butlins, just to be clear. But it’s got like, clowns… *laughter* And slides..
– If you read you get to enjoy time with clowns – I just remember seeing all of the adverts which is like people running around in fields and like swimming pools and I dunno
It sounds pretty weird yeah – Um, our program was 7th and 8th grade and the more books you read like with higher grade level you get points and then you trade those points in for like
a locker mirror or um soda – We didn’t have that – and then at one point we got a $50 gift card of the mall if you had like a lot of books read *laughs*
– What!? – Yeah, I read a lot, but I just missed the $50 gift card by like 10 points *laughing*
Why is that so funny? – Oh, I don’t think we really had any of those in Canada
Nothing?! – Um I- I could think of like, there’s like the Red Maple Club I was a part of it actually but I did it just to get like points of like clubs It was a club and you got- Every book you read you got like a sticker, and then the end I don’t know what the prize was because I never stuck around till the end but uh – Oh, rough
– I did I- I lied and I used to say I read this book – Oh, well no we had tests
– No, I remember! Yeah we had to write something about it like a paragraph about it – We had a test that you had to take online that was like “What was the person that this person murdered?”
and it was like A to D – Yeah
– If you got less than 75% you got no points I read a lot of Agatha Christie
– Was this like for class or not class? – Well, so it was an extra so you did stuff for class
– It was like an extra yeah – And then you also had to read books if you wanted extra points to the AR program – Oh… I don’t think I had anything like that – Was it wait, did you- your reading tests were they like they timed how fast you read? – Yes
– Yeah, okay. We didn’t get prizes though It was just like some kids were like pretentious
I’m a grade seven but I’m actually grade two! – Oh my gosh had that! We were like taken out like one person taken out – Yes, yes! we read separately
– and we had to read I was like best in the class – Oh! Do you mean like like the leap or like the gifted and talented stuff? Is that what you’re talking about? – I mean, I was gifted and talented – No one heard that *laughs*
– but I mean you read there was like levels of reading and starts with like “the dog and the cat”
– Yes yes yes – and then it’d be like “the enchanted forest had magical spirals everywhere” – Yeah and you would just meet with the teacher separately and yeah – and I’d put on a voice as well, I tried to be really cool – I think I definitely did that too. – Did you have the Pizza Hut program? the Bookit program? Where every five books you read you get a free personal pizza from Pizza Hut – What!? Wow, I’d definitely read books
– What?! That’s such a weird thing – Yeah every like 5th book your teacher gives you have a stamp for every book And then you bring it in to Pizza Hut and they give you a free lil pizza – Wow no. – No.
– No? Okay You guys didn’t have any fun incentives.
Even you in Jersey Well, you’re from North Jersey, so that’s a bit different Um, bit of a change of subject but I’m curious because my friend Hector sparked this conversation last night When you got picked up from- for school with the school bus did it come to your house directly? – No
– No there’s a meeting, there’s a meeting spot – There’s a meeting? What are we here for? *laughs*
– It’s like the people on that street meet all at one spot – So you had a bus stop. How far did you have to walk though?
– uhm.. what a minute? – What!? What?! I walked 10 minutes to the bus stop every day – I feel like that’s really dangerous.
– But our like school bus wasn’t like with the school. we had to pay for it,
– you had to pay for the school bus – It was like a private service With the school like usually you just be driven or you’d walk to school if you live near or like you catch a lift with Your friend’s mom or like
– what if what if you don’t have any way of getting to school? – Then you take the public bus
– which costs money? – Mhm
– Oh, that’s horrible so it’d be like I don’t know but then that would take like an hour because you’d have to like change at a Bus station or whatever
– I mean our bus stop Literally was every person’s was right outside the house you walk outside your house it picks you up. That’s – And the public bus you’d have like other people on it
– For summer camp, – For summer camp??
– For summer camp they picked me up at my house because it’s like you pay the money for the bus But for school was like you have to meet at the stop – what was that
– what – that was just god he disagrees
– thank you for the sign *laughter* He’s like you should not be having to walk to a stop these kids should- – No, I was always taught like to be afraid of the roads my mom would be like don’t go on like Delsea Drive That was like this crazy road where everyone would drive fast And so I can’t imagine having to walk for school cuz I’d get hit by car
– Would you? – Yeah that road was crazy
– How old were you? – Uh how old was I when I was a kid? like uh I was like 8 to 18? I don’t know – okay so like in primary school, um my mom would just drive me like everyones mom would just drive them – Well if your mom had a job or a life
– then you carpool – yeah, you’d like get dropped off round suzie’s on the way to work… i didn’t have a friend called suzie – this just blows my mind. In Canada because you guys only have one road like so you have to walk all the way
– What? You know the one road in Canada it goes from East to West.
– Do they have lockers? – Yeah
– I feel like Canada’s just like America for the most part of school – For the most- yeah for the most part – how big were your lockers, ours were like this big – how do you fit anything in there. ours are like human height That’s weird and like as soon as I get locker, and you weren’t allowed to decorate it either WHAT?? that did happen At one point for me, and then I don’t know they were like kids got carried away they would decorate peoples’ lockers for their birthday birthday We had a girl that had like had her locker decorated for her birthday And I was so happy to do it and then when she came to school she started crying Because she was a Jehovah’s Witness and wasn’t allowed to celebrate birthdays and so everyone had to rip it down Interesting story were you in a club I was a part of every single Club I was also why did you do it okay because I wanted to be in the photos, valedictorian and like president Just wanted to be in the yearbook because for every club you’re in you get to be in the yearbook so so you open the yearbook and it’s like “evan in the knitting club” Yeah i was in every page and the yearbook teacher got mad and was like elle’s in too many pages i hated her she was a b**ch i just had no friends annnd my god you’re so relatable i was really popular i went to all the music classes monday orchestra, what do you mean all the music oh im sorry monday choir; tuesday orchestra; wednesday we had band; thursday clarinet; on sunday and friday african drumming You drum, i did african drumming yeah can you give me some air drum? well you’d hold a drum like this I did handbells Really really cool. We have them at church . I like handbells you know it wasn’t necessarily Considered cool at my school, but I enjoyed it and also it got me out of gym class. how many snow days did you get in a year cuz’ i feel like that’s not a thing In the UK unless you’re like no cuz it snowed like this much and then it raiend after In Jersey we get snow days like maybe three four times a year maybe so excited we had some pretty bad ones What why, you had some pretty bad ones int Is the best yeah, because it’s like we have like one in like two years what?? That’s really depressing rains cuz it just rains listen to this I once had school on a Saturday for a whole entire month because it’s only snow days That was always so scary they think they allow up to 15 school days per year before then it goes into June And then July which I have school of June July anyway exist. They’re horrible really they don’t have a summer vacation yes we do,They have six weeks as opposed to three months yes three months. yes we have three months This is a very fun THREE MONTHS? Times of your school, SEVEN? 7-7 two times in the two months 8 2 2 3 to 10, oh mama 7 inches oh my god our school would end at at 3:35 but most of them ended at four but that was my elementary school But in where I’m from they teared it so that the elementary school kids would get out Later than the middle school and high school kids so that way if the high school kids got out of school earlier They could take care of their brothers and sisters It was it was quite nice that way because the parents had you know jobs a things This was just a chill video I just wanted to lightly sit with my friends while we’re in LA because we’re just having a little, little fun time in LA (basically) Long story short, there’s video we filmed on Jesse’s channel Which we’re all in and I quite like and it’s about anxiety versus teens and adults we’re filming a video on dodie’s channel We’re just having a good time while we’re in LA. I’m not here often. This is just the first holiday I’ve taken in ages, so I’m taking a mulligan. I hope you guys have a nice time BYYYEEEEE Goodbye